Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Tic-Tac-Know to Review Skills

Screen shot 2014-10-22 at 9.05.28 PM

I recently posted a pic on Instagram about Tic-Tac-Know and had some questions.  Here's a post I wrote about a year ago for another blog.  I hope this answers any questions.
Looking for a fun way to review for those end of the week tests or just want to do an informal assessment of how much information your students are really learning?  Well, Tic-Tac-Know is an easy and FUN way to do just that!!
In my gifted classes we do mini-studies on various topics.  For example, one of the most recent was on kaleidoscopes.  After we did our research and had some discussion.  Then, I wanted to see just how much they retained and really comprehended, so we "played" Tic-Tac-Know.
It's really simple, but fun and effective.  I use painter's tape to mark off a large, life-sized Tic-Tac-Toe board on our carpet.
 TicTacKnow
I compile a list of questions about our current study or whatever we are reviewing.  Next, I divide my students into two teams (Team X and Team O.)
The teams stand, in rows, on opposite sides of the tic-tac-toe board.  We flip a coin to see which team goes first and I ask a question to the first person on that team.  If it is answered correctly, the person takes a spot on the game board.   X's will stand and O's will sit, so at a glance, we can see who's who.  If the answer it incorrect, no one moves and I move on to the other team.  This continues until one team gets tic-tac-toe (3 in a row.)
This game of human tic-tac-know can be used with any subject and is an exciting way to review skills.
Some other ideas for Tic Tac Know could include:
  • reviewing math facts
  • comprehension questions about a book
  • reviewing antonyms/synonyms
  • homophones/homonyms review
  • stating facts and opinions
What's your favorite way to review with your students?

No comments:

Post a Comment